My Dog Ate a Pork Bone: Will He Be OK & What To Do

If your dog ate a pork bone this can become a problem as it can splinter or crack which poses a significant choking/internal damage hazard for your pet. This is especially true if you see any of the following signs:

  • Excessive drooling
  • Abnormal bowel movements
  • Vomiting
  • Lack of appetite

But, stay calm, and go to your vet. They will be able to fully examine your pet for any internal damages or health problems caused by swallowing the pork bone.

Your dog does have the ability to digest a pork bone through the digestive tract if it didn’t splinter, so everything could be fine.

Can my dog eat pork bone?

How Long Does It Take For A Dog To Pass A Pork Bone?

Your dog possesses the ability to fully digest a pork bone. However, this still isn’t a reason to risk it.

Dogs in comparison to humans have a much smaller digestive system and this can mean a bone is a big task for them to digest. Due to the size of their digestive system, it can take up to 8 hours for a pork bone to be digested.

It is important to understand that this isn’t always guaranteed. The pork bone could easily become splintered and get lodged in your pet. But, if it is successfully digested, you can expect to see this in your dog’s stool within 48 hours.

You know your dog best, if you notice any significant changes in his eating habits or the way he is behaving, it may be worth giving your vet a call to make sure everything is okay. 

Can A Dog Survive Eating A Pork Bone?

Unless the bone becomes lodged in your pet or splinters, a bone shouldn’t be fatal to your dog.

The biggest risk of a bone is the choking hazard. Whole bones don’t always break evenly and this can cause internal damage to your pet which could potentially be fatal.

So, pork bones, regardless of whether they are cooked or not, aren’t recommended for your pet.

If your dog is on a raw diet, you can feed them bones by first grinding them up, as they do provide a host of great nutrients for your dog.

Is raw bone bad for dogs?

Can Pork Bones Hurt Dogs?

Yes, a pork bone can do plenty of damage to your beloved pet which is why they aren’t advised at all. You should always grind them up before feeding them to your dog.

There are many potential risks when it comes to your pet chomping down on a tasty bone. Some potential situations are:

Bone Splinter Damage

When you think of a bone, you think of a solid object that can satisfy your pet for hours. Whilst this may be the case, pork bones aren’t always as strong as they seem.

They can easily splinter when your dog bites down on them and this can cause protruding edges which are usually very sharp.

When the bone is then swallowed, internal bleeding can occur from the sharp edges. If this occurs you can expect to see your pet in pain and suffering from intestinal discomfort.

This usually causes symptoms like diarrhea, lack of appetite, and abdominal pain.

If the bone is completely lodged inside your dog, the vet may need to sedate them and operate to remove the bone.

Overall, not something your dog will enjoy and it will cost you a lot of money too.

Dental Problems

A pork bone can also cause your dog to fracture or break a tooth meaning they’ll have a severe toothache.

No one likes toothache, not even your dog. This can usually be quite expensive to fix too, and sometimes even requires your dog to be sedated, which is another danger especially if they’re old.

Bowel Obstruction

The pork bone is a very peculiar shape and when this is ground up by your dog, due to the small digestive systems dogs have, it can be difficult to break down.

Excessive drool or coughing after a dog has been fed a pork bone can be a sign that there is an issue.

Can Dogs Eat Cooked Bones?

Whilst it is not advisable to feed your dog a bone of any kind, cooked bones could prove to be the worst. A cooked bone has been through a heating process when cooking the food, causing it to become brittle and dry.

This then leads to the bone easily shattering when your pet bites down on it, causing the cooked bone to splinter and potentially get stuck on the way down.

If the cooked bone gets stuck in the intestines during digestion, you can expect to see some internal discomfort. Your pet will likely get symptoms such as diarrhea and pain when you touch their stomach.

Due to the brittle nature of the bone, cooked bones should not be fed to your pet. Always dispose of these carefully, ensuring that your pet cannot get to them. This means making sure the bin is out of reach!

In 2019, a study was carried out involving 349 clinical cases. This was to discover which foreign bodies were removed most often from dogs’ esophagus.

The results showed that over 77% of stuck objects which were causing an obstruction or injury were bones.

Is cooked bone bad for dogs?

Are Cooked Bones Dangerous For Dogs?

Cooked bones are considered very dangerous for your dog. They are extremely brittle and can easily become stuck inside your pet. They are weaker than raw bones and should never be fed to your pet as a treat.

Dogs love any kind of bone, it keeps them occupied for ages. It’s great brain stimulation and keeps their jaws and teeth strong.

They will also benefit from the nutrients found in the bone marrow and it’s great for their development.

But unfortunately, they pose a significant danger to our beloved furry friends.

Cooked bones are significantly more of a health hazard to your pet than raw bones as mentioned above. 

As bones are cooked, the nutrients dissipate from the bone, leaving a bone that was firm and flexible, now brittle.

It is then far more likely for it to shatter into splinters and become lodged in teeth, gums, and of course, in the intestines.

The most common problems are:

  • Broken teeth
  • Mouth injuries, such as splinters in the gums
  • Obstructions are caused by the bone becoming stuck in your pet’s throat and intestine
  • Bone fragments can cause significant constipation 
  • Internal bleeding from the bone becoming lodged
  • Peritonitis – Otherwise known as bacterial infections
  • Pancreatitis 

Whilst bones are believed to strengthen your dog’s jaw and teeth, there are other methods of doing so without putting your best friend at risk.

Toys such as Nylabones, which are of similar shape, will equally offer great development for your dog.

A bone may seem like a quick and luxury treat for your dog. But in the end, the choking hazards and overall health risks are not worth it.

Dog eating bone

How Do I Know If My Dog Ate A Pork Bone?

You will notice if your dog has swallowed a pork bone by how they are acting. They will be acting pretty oddly in most cases. You might notice some significant behavioral changes and some loss of appetite or they may even express pain.

It is not uncommon for a dog or puppy to swallow something they shouldn’t. This can be a wide range of things including pork bones, chicken bones, and small toy balls and stones.

Some of these objects may be small enough to quickly go through their digestive system and not cause any obvious problems.

However, in some cases it is visibly noticeable there is a problem due to bowel movement issues.

They may have diarrhea or they may be visibly struggling to pass anything at all depending on how the bone is lodged.

Your pet may also be quite distant from you, due to internal pain and will shy away from you more than normal. If this situation presents itself, remain calm and consult your vet who will be able to inspect your pet thoroughly.

A 2017 study showed that in over 222 cases of lodged foreign objects, bone material was the main contributing factor. In fact, it equated to 81% of the whole study.

Esophagus obstruction is not pleasant for your pet, ensure that all bones and small objects are kept out of reach.

You know your dog better than anyone, you will notice if something isn’t quite right by the way he acts. If something concerns you, be sure to get in touch with the vet promptly.

My Dog Ate A Pork Bone And Is Now Throwing Up – What Should I Do?

Firstly, be sure to remain calm so that you can deal with the situation as best as possible.

The increased chance of injury also depends on the type, size, and shape of the bone ingested by your dog.

If your pet has managed to get his paws on a cooked bone, it is recommended to immediately seek help from your veterinarian.

If your dog is vomiting due to ingesting a pork bone, it could be a case of peritonitis. This is essentially a bacterial infection inside your pet caused by a pork bone getting lodged or causing damage to the stomach/intestines.

If your dog has been vomiting, it is very important to pay extra attention to them over the next few days.

If you notice that your pooch is constipated and the bone has not been passed through their stool, or swelling is visible, you should consult your vet immediately.



Leave a Comment